Get Employer Support
Overcome the Objections and Get the Support You Deserve
One of the best ways to get management support is to submit a formal proposal to your direct supervisor, outlining the facility benefits of attending the conference.
- First, determine if your facility has a formal professional development policy, form, and/or designated amounts for employees.
- Second, review the daily schedule for the conference to identify the educational sessions and networking events that address the specific needs within your facility.
- Third, begin preparing your proposal. Here are some talking points to help you along:
Why Should You Attend?
The Symposium on Advanced Wound Care Fall (SAWC Fall) meeting is the premier interdisciplinary wound care program in this clinical field and is the largest annual gathering of wound care clinicians in the United States. Between the Fall and Spring meetings, more than 3,000 physicians, podiatrists, nurses, therapists, and researchers are expected to attend the SAWC meetings.
No other wound care conference offers the level of education, number of quality sessions, or gathering of renowned educators.
SAWC Fall provides outstanding networking opportunities with faculty and attendees from the United States and around the world.
Continuing Education Credits
NACCME is an approved continuing education provider for the SAWC Fall Meeting.
This meeting is accredited for physicians, nurses, podiatrists, dietitians, and physical therapists for up to 20.75 credit hours.
Top Benefits of Attendance
- More than 40 educational activities (including pre-, main, and post-conference sessions)
- Lectures from world-class researchers and dynamic speakers
- Late-breaking research in wound care
- The opportunity to learn about emerging innovations and technologies that can improve healing rates and outcomes for your patients
Ideas for Overcoming Objections to Your Request
This conference is too expensive.
- SAWC Fall registration fees are reasonable given the value of the education, the networking opportunities provided, and the number of credits I will earn.
- The early bird rate provides a significant discount over the regular rate.
- SAWC Fall has negotiated very competitive hotel rates for conference attendees.
What will the organization gain from your attendance?
Show in your proposal, through examples, how the conference provides the following:
- New ideas, strategies, or techniques that will positively impact your organization's ability to care for patients or improve outcomes.
- Access to educational programming (data, practices, and techniques) that can be brought back to the organization (all attendees receive online access to many of the session handouts).
- Opportunities for relationship building with experts, colleagues, referral sources, and product and service providers.
- The chance to develop practical knowledge and skills.
The organization cannot afford to have you away from the office.
- Have a plan ready that shows how the conference will provide unparalleled learning opportunities, who will cover for you, and how you can manage your workload while you are away.
- SAWC Fall has a free cyber cafe available to all attendees that will allow you to check in throughout the program.
- Remind your supervisor that supporting your attendance will advance the quality of care the organization provides, improve patient outcomes, and show the facility’s commitment to your professional development.
How to Create a Successful Proposal
Your proposal should include the following:
- A schedule of sessions you'd like to attend and why the knowledge gained will be valuable to your facility.
- Make your proposal more powerful by listing the facility's goals and objectives, and how they relate to the corresponding educational sessions.
- A list of areas where your facility faces challenges, and how the proposed sessions you would like to attend will help you to develop solutions to meet your facility’s needs.
- The cost of registration, travel, and accommodations.